Before and After

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Learning to eat well

When I was in junior high school (that's what we called it, now it's middle school) I took a home economics class. Actually, I took home ec all through my junior and senior high school years. Looking back it amazes me to think of what we were not taught when it comes to nutrition. I vaguely remember a food pyramid, but when we were actually cooking, we didn't take that into consideration. I remember learning how to make white sauce. I can't say that is something I've made a lot over the years.
My junior high home ec teacher was one of my favorite teachers, she was very patient and kind. She taught us how to make a food budget. I remember working really hard on it, it wasn't easy to feed two people on the limited amount we had in the budget. I ended up with a lot of boxed macaroni and cheese, hot dogs and things like that on the menu. I got a very good grade on it. When I got married we were on a very tight budget so we ate all those cheap foods that were on my budget menu from junior high. I don't remember being concerned about it. Not until a few years had passed and I had gained a lot of weight.
Were you taught good eating habits or have you had to develop them yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
template by suckmylolly.com